Novo-Gloss 20/60/85° Glossmeter with Haze to ASTM E430
- 20/60/85° Gloss meter for matt to mirror finishes
- Haze measurement to ASTM E430
- Full statistical analysis with trend graphs
- Pass / Fail for easy identification of non conformances
The Novo-Gloss 20/60/85? gloss meter is designed to meet the measurement criteria for most gloss measuring applications. Small, lightweight and durable the gloss meter can be used in production and laboratory environments. The high specifications, including statistical analysis, graphical analysis and software-free PC down load facility make it the ideal gloss meter for matt to mirror surface finishes Measured parameters: Gloss measurement for all surface finishes:
- 20° – High Gloss
- 60° – Medium Gloss
- 85° – Low Gloss
Haze measurement to ASTM E430
- Reflectance haze measurement with compensation mode to provide consistent readings of metallics and speciality pigments
Gloss meter features
- Fast measurement, single button push measures all parameters
- On-board statistics with graphical trend analysis and reporting.
- Automatic calibration with tile validation
- Date and time stamped results
- Easy Batching – User definable batch names and batch sizes for quicker and more efficient reporting
- Software-free data transfer
- Direct data input via Bluetooth – instantly transmit measured readings directly to programs such as Microsoft Excel
- Auto-ranging, measures matt to mirror finishes
- Pass / fail for easy identification of non-conformances
- Compatible with all major international standards
- Extended two year warranty
- Lifetime lightsource guarantee
Which gloss meter angle should I use for my application?
We measure gloss in gloss units (GU) and is traceable to reference standards held at BAM (Germany), NRC (Canada) or NPL (UK).
High Gloss: 20° The acute measurement angle of 20° gives better resolution for high gloss surfaces. Surfaces that measure at 70GU and above at the standard 60° angle are often measured with this geometry. The 20° angle is more sensitive to haze effects that affect the appearance of a surface.
Universal Measurement Angle: 60° Every gloss level can be measured using the standard measurement angle of 60°. This is the reference angle with complementary angles of 85° and 20° often used for high and low gloss levels respectively.
Low Gloss: 85° For enhanced resolution of low gloss a grazing angle of 85° is used to measure the surface. This angle is proposed for surfaces which measure less than 10GU when measured at 60°. This angle also has a greater measurement spot which will average out differences in the gloss of textured or slightly uneven surfaces.
Why measure Haze?
For polished metal surfaces, haze is often associated with chemical residue or polishing marks
Reflection haze is an optical phenomenon normally associated with high gloss surfaces. It is a usual surface fault that reduces appearance quality. A hazy surface has a visibly shallower reflection accompanied by a milky finish and halos that appear around reflections of strong light sources.
A high gloss finish alongside haze exhibits a milky finish with low reflective contrast- reflected lowlights and highlights are less pronounced.
On surfaces with haze, halos are visible around the reflections of strong light sources.
Causes of Haze
- Pigment properties
- Particle size
- Binder compatibility
- Influence and migration of additives
- Resin types and quality
- Drying conditions
- Cure temperature
- Polishing marks
- Ageing and oxidisation Haze- Often visible as a milky finish on high gloss surfaces.
The Ultimate Gloss Meter – Features
High-speed measurement of all parameters. Full onboard statistics with graphical trend analysis and reporting.
Contemporaneous measurement of all parameters, results are date and time stamped.
Graphical reporting for fast trend analysis.
Displays all statistics for the no° of readings in the current batch.
Pass/ fail parameters can be defined for instant identification of non-conformances.
User definable batch names and batch sizes for prompt and more efficient reporting.
Rapid data transfer
Software-free data transfer from USB connection to PC which instantly recognises the device as a drive location which facilitates the fast transfer of files using Windows Explorer or similar. To measure the orange peel (DOI) of a the surface in addition to the above parameters, please see the Rhopoint IQ